Friday, October 3, 2008

They're Ready To Eat




One of my favorite memories from my childhood is the christmas orange in the toe of our stockings.  It was a tradition I wanted to keep with my own children.  However, the sweet mandarin oranges are not available here so I switched the tradition to being a pair of new crazy socks.  I kept wishing for the sweet taste though.  After much research I found out that the Satsuma orange was a close taste and texture to the mandarin and best of all it could be grown in Texas.  So, another search was on to find a tree.  RCW nursuries came to the rescue last spring. We bought a small tree and planted it on the side of the house by the pool.  We have been watching the fruit carefully grow all summer long.  They are supposed to have ripe fruit around late Oct to Dec.  After hurricane Ike I was not sure the little tree would survive but it was not even bent over.  Last night, Chris and I went out to do the pool maintenance and we looked at the fruit.  It was ripe!!!  I ate the sweetest tasting fruit - so yummy and juicy.  It really tastes like I remember.  This morning I took the kids outside and got their pics by the tree and then of them eating the fruit.  Nicholas loved it.  Allison is not quite so sure, she loves to suck out the juice but not to actually eat the piece.  Hopefully, she will grow to love them like I do and if not more for me!!! 

No comments: